April 17, 1982|
Ferguson, Missouri, United States
The Chosen One
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||73.0 in (185 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Coconut Creek, Florida|
|Team||American Top Team|
NCAA Division I Wrestling |
Purple Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
|Years active||2006 – present|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Amateur MMA record|
|University||University of Missouri|
|Notable school(s)||McCluer High School|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Tyron Lakent Woodley (born April 17, 1982) is an American former amateur wrestler for the University of Missouri and is now a professional mixed martial artist. A former Strikeforce welterweight contender, Woodley is currently signed to a deal with the UFC.
Tyron Woodley was born and raised in Ferguson, Missouri, an area a few miles from St. Louis, Missouri. He was born eleventh of the thirteen Woodley children to Sylvester and Deborah Woodley. He was raised by his mother after his father left early in his life. In high school he was on the honor roll every term, received All-Conference honors in football, was a two-time state finalist in wrestling finishing 48-0 and winning a state title.
After graduating from McCluer High School in 2000, he had offers from Nebraska, Northern Iowa, and Missouri. After going on his recruiting visit to Nebraska, he had verbally committed but later discovered Nebraska's head wrestling coach was forced to resign. He decided he would attend Missouri and help rebuild the wrestling team. Tyron Woodley graduated from Mizzou in 2005 with a major in Agricultural Economics and went on to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, planning to graduate in 2012 with a degree in Public Administration.
Mixed martial arts career
Tyron Woodley got his start after walking into a local MMA gym and asked the owner about participating on the gym's amateur fight card happening in the next month. The owner trained him a little, and put him on the card. The fight lasted 20 seconds with Woodley walking away victorious. He collected a perfect 7-0 record in amateur bouts with all bouts being finished by a KO or submission.
Woodley fought his first professional fight on February 7, 2009, it was held by Headhunter Productions at the Holiday Inn Select Executive Center in Columbia, Missouri. His opponent was Steve Schnider. The fight streamed live on Purefight.org. Woodley won his second fight by submitting Jeff Carstens.
Woodley made his Strikeforce debut in his hometown of St. Louis, Missouri at Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields on June 6, 2009. Tyron won the fight by submission late into round one. After the win, Strikeforce signed Woodley to an exclusive six fight deal and plan on using him on most of the Showtime cards.
On the Strikeforce Challengers: Woodley vs. Bears card, Woodley had his third fight for Strikeforce, defeating Rudy Bears via Arm-Triangle submission. The fight was the main event. After his win over Bears, Woodley signed on with EA Sports to take part in their upcoming MMA based game, EA Sports MMA.
Woodley headlined his second Strikeforce Challengers event at Strikeforce Challengers: Woodley vs. Saffiedine, when he fought Tarec Saffiedine on January 7, 2011 in Nashville, Tennessee. Using effective clinch work and take downs, Woodley won the fight via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28). After the win, Woodley claimed to be the number one contender for the welterweight title. Strikeforce then signed an extension to Woodley's contract, giving him four more fights and better pay.
During the Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley event Woodley wore a shirt that had the words, "I Got Next", printed on the front implying he was the next to fight for the welterweight title. At Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson, Tyron replaced Evangelista Santos and fought Paul Daley. Woodley controlled the fight with effective takedowns, and according to Compustrike, out struck Daley en route to a unanimous decision win. With the win, Woodley will likely fight for the vacant Strikeforce welterweight title. “I verged to the left and avoided the iceberg,” Woodley told Showtime Sports shortly after the win. “I knew it was going to be a tough fight.... I knew I had to be slick and get inside of him, he’s strong guy. I couldn’t get frustrated when I didn’t take him down and (I had) to keep going for him. So that’s what I did.”
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Woodley faced Jake Shields on June 15, 2013 at UFC 161. The bout was contested on the feet for nearly its entirety in a largely uneventful fight where neither fighter was able to deliver any significant offense. Woodley lost the fight via a split decision.
Woodley next faced off against Josh Koscheck at UFC 167 on November 16, 2013. He won the fight via knockout in the very first round. The win also earned him his first Knockout of the Night bonus award.
Woodley next faced Carlos Condit at UFC 171. In round two, Woodley landed on Condit's right knee on a takedown. The referee stood the fight up for inactivity, and when Condit tried to step away after Woodley kicked his left knee, his right buckled, causing him to collapse in agony and the referee to award Woodley a TKO.
Woodley next faced Dong Hyun Kim on August 23, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 48, replacing Hector Lombard. He won the fight via TKO early in the first round. The win also earned Woodley his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
He is married and has a son, Tyron Jr. (TJ). Woodley also volunteers as an assistant wrestling coach for the SIUE Cougars.
He has expressed interest in someday opening up a non-profit facility for troubled youth. 
Championships and accomplishments
- 2010 Rising Star of the Year
- 2009 Prospect of the Year
- Real Pro Wrestling
- RPW Northern Regional Championship (2006)
- USA Wrestling
- USA University Freestyle National Championship Runner-up (2006)
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
- NCAA Division I All-American (2003, 2005)
- Big 12 Conference Championship (2003)
- Big 12 Conference Championship Runner-up (2005)
- University of Missouri Wrestling Team Captain (2003, 2004, 2005)
- National High School Coaches Association
- NHSCA Senior All-American (2000)
- Missouri State High School Activities Association
- MSHSAA High School State Championship (2000)
- MSHSAA High School State Championship Runner-up (1999)
- MSHSAA All-State (1999, 2000)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 bouts||15 wins||3 losses|
|Win||15–3||Kelvin Gastelum||Decision (split)||UFC 183||January 31, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (180 lbs) bout; Gastelum missed weight.|
|Win||14–3||Dong Hyun Kim||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Bisping vs. Le||August 23, 2014||1||1:01||Cotai Strip, Macau, China||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||13–3||Rory MacDonald||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 174||June 14, 2014||3||5:00||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||13–2||Carlos Condit||TKO (knee injury)||UFC 171||March 15, 2014||2||2:00||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Win||12–2||Josh Koscheck||KO (punches)||UFC 167||November 16, 2013||1||4:38||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Loss||11–2||Jake Shields||Decision (split)||UFC 161||June 15, 2013||3||5:00||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Win||11–1||Jay Hieron||KO (punches)||UFC 156||February 2, 2013||1||0:36||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||10–1||Nate Marquardt||KO (elbows and punches)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy||July 14, 2012||4||1:39||Portland, Oregon, United States||For the vacant Strikeforce Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||10–0||Jordan Mein||Decision (split)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine||January 7, 2012||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–0||Paul Daley||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson||July 30, 2011||3||5:00||Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States|
|Win||8–0||Tarec Saffiedine||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers 13||January 7, 2011||3||5:00||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||7–0||André Galvão||KO (punches)||Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons II||October 9, 2010||1||1:48||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||Nathan Coy||Decision (split)||Strikeforce Challengers 8||May 21, 2010||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||5–0||Rudy Bears||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Strikeforce Challengers 5||November 20, 2009||1||2:52||Kansas City, Kansas, United States|
|Win||4–0||Zach Light||Submission (armbar)||Strikeforce Challengers 3||September 25, 2009||2||3:38||Bixby, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||3–0||Salvador Woods||Submission (brabo choke)||Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields||June 6, 2009||1||4:20||St. Louis, Missouri, United States|
|Win||2–0||Jeff Carstens||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Respect Is Earned: Brotherly Love Brawl||April 30, 2009||1||0:48||Oaks, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||1–0||Steve Schnider||Submission (punches)||Headhunter Productions: The Patriot Act 1||February 7, 2009||1||1:09||Columbia, Missouri, United States|
- "Tyron Woodley Bio"=. http://www.tyronwoodley.com/tyron-woodley-bio.php. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- Sherdog Prospect Watch: Tyron Woodley
- Tyron Woodley targeted for Showtime slot on Nov. 20 "Strikeforce Challengers" event
- Woodley vs. Bears, Kaufman vs. Hashi among Nov. 20 Strikeforce Challengers V additions
- "EA Sports MMA" adds top Strikeforce prospect Tyron Woodley to videogame roster
- "Tyron Woodley vs. Tarec Saffiedine Heads Strikeforce Challengers 13"=. MMAWeekly.com. 2010-12-06. http://mmaweekly.com/tyron-woodley-vs-tarec-saffiedine-heads-strikeforce-challengers-13.
- "Titanic Tyron Woodley Avoids Paul Daley Iceberg, No Boats Sink at Strikeforce"=. MMAWeekly.com. July 31, 2011. http://mmaweekly.com/titanic-tyron-woodley-avoids-paul-daley-iceberg-no-boats-sink-at-strikeforce. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Healy-Hirota, Mein-Stinson, High-Moore Added to Strikeforce ‘Rockhold vs. Kennedy’ Card"=. sherdog.com. May 30, 2012. http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/HealyHirota-MeinStinson-HighMoore-Added-to-Strikeforce-Rockhold-vs-Kennedy-Card-43137.
- Mookie Alexander (2013-02-27). "Jake Shields vs. Tyron Woodley planned for June 15th event in Canada"=. bloodyelbow.com. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/27/4037850/mma-news-jake-shields-vs-tyron-woodley-june-15th-event-canada. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- "Jake Shields outgrinds Tyron Woodley for upset split"=. mmajunkie.com. http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/06/ufc-161-resultsphotos-jake-shields-vs-tyron-woodley. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- Dave Reid (2013-08-22). "Josh Koscheck Faces Tyron Woodley At UFC 167"=. mmainsider.net=. http://mmainsider.net/8999/josh-koscheck-faces-tyron-woodley-at-ufc-167. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Staff. "UFC 167 bonuses: St-Pierre, Hendricks, Woodley, Cerrone win $50,000"=. MMAjunkie.com. http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/17/ufc-167-bonuses-st-pierre-hendricks-woodley-cerrone-win-50000/. Retrieved 11-17-2013.
- "Carlos Condit vs. Tyron Woodley set for UFC 171 in Dallas"=. MMAjunkie.com. http://mmajunkie.com/2013/12/carlos-condit-vs-tyron-woodley-set-for-ufc-171-in-dallas/. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- Gene Mrosko. "Carlos Condit injury gives Tyron Woodley TKO win"=. MMAmania.com. http://www.mmamania.com/2014/3/15/5513632/ufc-171-results-carlos-condit-injury-gives-tyron-woodley-tko-win. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- Mindenhall, Chuck (2014-04-08). "Tyron Woodley inks an eight-fight deal with UFC, faces Rory MacDonald at UFC 174"=. MMAfighting.com. http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/8/5595268/tyron-woodley-inks-an-eight-fight-deal-with-ufc-faces-rory-macdonald. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- Staff (2014-06-24). "Tyron Woodley in for Hector Lombard, meets Dong Hyun Kim at UFC Fight Night 48"=. mmajunkie.com. http://mmajunkie.com/2014/06/tyron-woodley-in-for-hector-lombard-meets-dong-hyun-kim-at-ufc-fight-night-48. Retrieved 2014-06-24.
- Staff (2014-08-23). "Tyron Woodley blasts Dong Hyun Kim into oblivion in just 61 seconds"=. middleeasy.com. http://middleeasy.com/fighting/item/13989-tyron-woodley-blasts-dong-hyun-kim-into-oblivion-in-just-61-seconds. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- Staff (2014-08-23). "UFC Fight Night 48 bonuses: No $50,000 'Fight of the Night' awards"=. mmajunkie.com. http://mmajunkie.com/2014/08/ufc-fight-night-48-bonuses-no-50000-fight-of-the-night-awards. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- Staff (2014-11-19). "Kelvin Gastelum vs. Tyron Woodley set for co-main of UFC 183 in Las Vegas"=. mmajunkie.com. http://mmajunkie.com/2014/11/kelvin-gastelum-vs-tyron-woodley-added-to-ufc-183-in-las-vegas. Retrieved 2014-11-19.
- Mailbag: Woodley on right path