September 24, 1980|
Takoma Park, Maryland
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Fighting out of||Gaffney, South Carolina|
|Team||Revolution MMA, Limestone Wrestling|
|Rank||Olympian Freestyle Wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
Gardner–Webb University |
Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania
University of Minnesota Morris
|Notable school(s)||McDowell High School (Marion, North Carolina)|
|Competitor for United States|
|Women's submission grappling|
|FILA Grappling World Championships|
|Gold||2009 Fort Lauderdale||-63 kg (No-Gi)|
|ADCC North American Championships|
|Silver||2011 San Diego||+60 kg|
|Women's freestyle wrestling|
|Silver||2004 Athens||-63 kg|
|Bronze||2007 Baku||-63 kg|
|Bronze||2005 Budapest||-63 kg|
|Silver||2003 New York||-63 kg|
|Pan American Games|
|Gold||2007 Rio de Janeiro||-63 kg|
|Gold||2003 Santo Domingo||-63 kg|
|Pan American Championships|
|Bronze||2001 Santo Domingo||-62 kg|
|Silver||2000 Cali||-62 kg|
Sara McMann (born September 24, 1980) is an American mixed martial artist and former Olympic wrestler. She is the first American woman in history to receive a silver medal in Olympic wrestling, which she won at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece. She wrestled in the Women's Freestyle 63 kg or 138.75 lb weight class. McMann was a Silver Medalist in 2003 World Championships and Bronze Medalist in 2005 & 2007 World Championships. She started wrestling at the age of 14 in Marion, North Carolina at McDowell High School.
- 1 Family
- 2 Education
- 3 Off the mat
- 4 Mixed martial arts career
- 5 Championships and accomplishments
- 6 Mixed martial arts record
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Sara's parents are Thomas William McMann and Paula Jean McMann. She has one sister, Nickolina McMann, and one brother, Jason McMann. Sara's brother, Jason, who wrestled at Quince Orchard High School in Maryland, was murdered Jan. 23, 1999 at the age of 21.
McMann attended McDowell High School in Marion, North Carolina where, in addition to wrestling, she participated in theatre productions. She earned a degree in Theatre at Lock Haven University, where she was a member of the school's wrestling team under the coaching of Carl Poff from 1999-2003. She previously attended University of Minnesota-Morris from 1998-1999, where she was coached by Doug Reese. She has graduated from Gardner-Webb University with a Masters Degree in Mental Health Counseling.
Off the mat
Sara does volunteer work for Habitat for Humanity and Safe Homes. She traveled to Sri Lanka with Olympic teammates to help victims of the Tsunami rebuild homes for those displaced by the tidal wave. She also helps with youth clubs and speaks to upcoming girls and boys about wrestling.
On September 3, 2004, while driving her Jeep in Colorado on the way to the Iowa with her fiance, former ASU three-time NCAA All-American wrestler Steven Blackford as her passenger, the vehicle ran off the road and rolled over. He was ejected from the vehicle, and died at the scene. McMann was hospitalized with a broken arm and other minor injuries. Blackford was attending the Columbus Law School at Catholic University.
Mixed martial arts career
McMann announced in late 2010 that she had signed a three-fight contract with Strikeforce. She planned to fight at 135 pounds. However, she did not sign on with the promotion due to an extension clause in the contract.
She then had more fights fall apart after opponents backed out, including a scheduled April 30, 2011 fight against Mariah Johnson.
On May 28, 2011, McMann made her pro MMA debut at Universal Cage Combat: Revolution in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. She defeated Christina Marks by submission in the first round.
McMann faced fellow Olympian Julie Malenfant at Blackeye Promotions 4 on June 17, 2011 in Fletcher, North Carolina. McMann defeated Malenfant by TKO early in the first round.
After ProElite reincarnated under new management, McMann faced Raquel Pa'aluhi on the promotion's first event post-EliteXC at ProElite 1: Arlovski vs. Lopez on August 27, 2011 in Honolulu, Hawaii. She defeated Pa'aluhi by submission due to an americana in the third round.
On April 28, it was announced that McMann would face Shayna Baszler in the main event of Invicta Fighting Championships 2. The event took place on July 28, 2012. McMann defeated Baszler via unanimous decision and the bout was named fight of the night. The bout was a title eliminator, with the winner scheduled to face the winner of Alexis Davis vs. Hitomi Akano.
On September 4, 2012, it was announced McMann has signed with Strikeforce. McMann was expected to debut at Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir against former bantamweight title challenger Liz Carmouche, but the event was cancelled.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
McMann was slated to face former Strikeforce champion Sarah Kaufman on August 28, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 27. However, McMann withdrew from the bout for undisclosed personal reasons. As a result, Kaufman was pulled from the event as well.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Invicta Fighting Championships
- Fight of the Night (One time)
- Women's MMA Awards
- 2011 Mighty Mia Inspirational Fighter of the Year
- International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles
- 2009 FILA Grappling World Championships Senior Women's No-Gi Gold Medalist
- North American Grappling Association
- 2011 North Carolina Championships Women's No-Gi Gold Medalist
- 2010 Southeast Championships Women's No-Gi Gold Medalist
- 2009 Southeast Championships Women's No-Gi Gold Medalist
- International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles
- 2009 Sunkist Kids International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2007 NYAC Holiday International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Silver Medalist
- 2007 Sunkist Kids International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2007 FILA Wrestling World Championships Senior Women's Freestyle Bronze Medalist
- 2007 Warsaw Cup Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2007 Pan American Games Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2007 World Cup Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2007 Klippan Lady's Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2007 Dave Schultz Memorial International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Silver Medalist
- 2006 World Cup Senior Women's Freestyle Bronze Medalist
- 2005 FILA Wrestling World Championships Senior Women's Freestyle Bronze Medalist
- 2004 Dave Schultz Memorial International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Bronze Medalist
- 2004 Manitoba Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2004 FILA Olympic Test Tournament Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2003 NYAC Christmas International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2003 Women's Championship Cup of Wrestling Senior Women's Freestyle Silver Medalist
- 2003 Sunkist Kids International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2003 World Cup Senior Women's Freestyle Silver Medalist
- 2003 FILA Wrestling World Championships Senior Women's Freestyle Silver Medalist
- 2003 Pan American Games Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2003 Klippan Lady's Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2003 Dave Schultz Memorial International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2002 Henri Deglane Challenge Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2002 Yarygin Memorial International Senior Women's Freestyle Silver Medalist
- 2002 Klippan Lady's Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2001 Sunkist Kids International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2001 Pan American Championships Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2001 Dave Schultz Memorial International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2001 Manitoba Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2000 Clansman International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2000 Sunkist Kids International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- 2000 Pan American Championships Senior Women's Freestyle Silver Medalist
- 2000 Dave Schultz Memorial International Open Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- USA Wrestling
- USA Senior Women's Freestyle Olympic Team Trials Winner (2004)
- USA Senior Women's Freestyle Olympic Team Trials Runner-up (2008)
- FILA Senior Women's Freestyle World Team Trials Winner (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007)
- FILA Junior Women's Freestyle World Team Trials Winner (1999, 2000)
- USA Senior Women's Freestyle National Championship (2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007)
- USA Senior Women's Freestyle National Championship Runner-up (2004, 2008)
- USA University Women's Freestyle National Championship (2002)
- USA University Women's Freestyle National Championship Runner-up (1998)
- Northern Plains Senior Women's Freestyle Regional Championship (2008)
- 2010 ASICS U.S. Open Wrestling Championships Senior Women's Freestyle Silver Medalist
- 2006 Missouri Valley Showcase Senior Women's Freestyle Gold Medalist
- United States Girls' Wrestling Association
- USGWA High School National Championship (1998)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|10 bouts||8 wins||2 losses|
|Loss||8–2||Miesha Tate||Decision (majority)||UFC 183||January 31, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–1||Lauren Murphy||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Bader vs. St. Preux||August 16, 2014||3||5:00||Bangor, Maine, United States|
|Loss||7–1||Ronda Rousey||TKO (knee to the body)||UFC 170||February 22, 2014||1||1:06||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||7–0||Sheila Gaff||TKO (punches)||UFC 159||April 27, 2013||1||4:06||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||6–0||Shayna Baszler||Decision (unanimous)||Invicta FC 2: Baszler vs. McMann||July 28, 2012||3||5:00||Kansas City, Kansas, United States||Invicta FC Bantamweight title eliminator; Fight of the Night.|
|Win||5–0||Hitomi Akano||Decision (unanimous)||ProElite 3: Da Spyder vs. Minowaman||January 21, 2012||3||5:00||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||4–0||Raquel Pa'aluhi||Submission (americana)||ProElite 1: Arlovski vs. Lopez||August 27, 2011||3||2:53||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||3–0||Tonya Evinger||Decision (unanimous)||Titan Fighting Championships 19||July 29, 2011||3||5:00||Kansas City, Kansas, United States|
|Win||2–0||Julie Malenfant||Submission (punches)||BlackEye Promotions 4||June 17, 2011||1||0:32||Fletcher, North Carolina, United States|
|Win||1–0||Christina Marks||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Universal Cage Combat: Revolution||May 28, 2011||1||1:41||Lawrenceburg, Indiana, United States|
- "Women's MMA Pound-For-Pound Rankings"=. MMARising.com. http://www.mmarising.com/rankings/womens-pound-for-pound-top-15/. Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- "Unified Women's Mixed Martial Arts Rankings"=. MMARising.com. http://www.mmarising.com/rankings/unified-womens-mixed-martial-arts-rankings/. Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- Skalko, Sherry. "McMann finds solace in wrestling"=. ESPN.com=. http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer04/wrestling/columns/story?id=1857176. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- Berra, Lindsay. "The rules are 'There are no rules'"=. ESPN the Magazine. http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3382953. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "Olympic Silver Medalist McMann Inks Deal with Strikeforce"=. Sherdog.com. 2010-12-27. http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Olympic-Silver-Medalist-McMann-Inks-Deal-with-Strikeforce-28683. Retrieved 2010-12-27.
- "Sara McMann Defeats Tonya Evinger In TFC 19 Co-Feature"=. MMARising.com. 2011-07-29. http://www.mmarising.com/articles/2011/07/29/sara-mcmann-defeats-tonya-evinger-in-tfc-19-co-feature/. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- "Sara McMann's Pro MMA Debut Cancelled In Jamaica"=. MMARising.com. 2010-11-16. http://www.mmarising.com/news/2010/11/16/sara-mcmanns-pro-mma-debut-cancelled-in-jamaica/. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- "Olympic Silver Medalist McMann's Debut Delayed Again"=. Sherdog.com. 2011-04-29. http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Olympic-Silver-Medalist-McManns-Debut-Delayed-Again-31982. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- "Olympian Sara McMann Wins Long-Awaited Pro MMA Debut"=. MMARising.com. 2011-05-29. http://www.mmarising.com/articles/2011/05/29/olympian-sara-mcmann-wins-long-awaited-pro-mma-debut/. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- "Sara McMann Impressive In Blackeye Promotions 4 Victory"=. MMARising.com. 2011-06-17. http://www.mmarising.com/articles/2011/06/17/sara-mcmann-impressive-in-blackeye-promotions-4-victory/. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Sara McMann vs Tonya Evinger Agreed For Titan FC 19"=. MMARising.com. 2011-07-20. http://www.mmarising.com/news/2011/07/20/sara-mcmann-vs-tonya-evinger-agreed-for-titan-fc-19/. Retrieved 2011-07-22.
- "Bobby Lashley Pulls Out of Titan Fighting Bout"=. MMAFighting.com. 2011-07-22. http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/07/22/bobby-lashley-pulls-out-of-titan-fighting-bout/. Retrieved 2011-07-22.
- "Sara McMann Submits Raquel Pa'aluhi At ProElite In Hawaii"=. MMARising.com. 2011-08-28. http://www.mmarising.com/articles/2011/08/28/sara-mcmann-submits-raquel-paaluhi-at-proelite-in-hawaii/. Retrieved 2011-08-28.
- "Hitomi Akano vs Sara McMann Targeted For ProElite 3"=. MMARising.com. 2011-12-03. http://www.mmarising.com/news/2011/12/03/hitomi-akano-vs-sara-mcmann-targeted-for-proelite-3/. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Sara McMann Dominates Hitomi Akano In ProElite 3 Co-Main"=. MMARising.com. 2012-01-21. http://www.mmarising.com/articles/2012/01/21/sara-mcmann-dominates-hitomi-akano-in-proelite-3-co-main/. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Sara McMann Faces Shayna Baszler In Invicta FC 2 Headliner"=. MMARising.com. 2012-04-28. http://www.mmarising.com/news/2012/04/28/sara-mcmann-faces-shayna-baszler-in-invicta-fc-2-headliner/. Retrieved 2012-04-29.
- "Invicta FC 2 Results: McMann, Davis & Carmouche Victorious"=. MMARising.com. 2012-07-29. http://www.mmarising.com/articles/2012/07/29/invicta-fc-2-results-mcmann-davis-carmouche-victorious/. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "McMann, Baszler Discuss Invicta FC 2 Fight Of The Night"=. MMARising.com. 2012-07-29. http://www.mmarising.com/articles/2012/07/29/mcmann-baszler-discuss-invicta-fc-2-fight-of-the-night/. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Undefeated Olympic medalist Sara McMann signs with Strikeforce"=. MMAjunkie.com. 2012-09-04. http://mmajunkie.com/news/30496/undefeated-olympic-medalist-sara-mcmann-signs-with-strikeforce.mma.
- "Sara McMann vs. Liz Carmouche targeted for 'Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir'"=. MMAjunkie.com. 2012-09-07. http://mmajunkie.com/news/30546/sara-mcmann-vs-liz-carmouche-targeted-for-strikeforce-cormier-vs-mir.mma.
- "Strikeforce cancels Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, plans January return"=. MMAjunkie.com. 2012-10-12. http://mmajunkie.com/news/31099/strikeforce-cancels-nov-3-event-in-oklahoma-city-plans-january-return.mma. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "UFC Confirms Sara McMann, Alexis Davis Signed To Contracts"=. Fightline.com. http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2013/0212/553293/. Retrieved February 15, 2013.
- . http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1620870-ufc-159-what-we-learned-from-sheila-gaff-vs-sara-mcmann.
- "Canada's Sarah Kaufman Signed to UFC on Fox Sports 1 2 Fight"=. TopMMANews.com. 2013-06-04. http://topmmanews.com/2013/06/04/canadas-sarah-kaufman-signed-to-ufc-on-fox-sports-1-2-fight/. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Sara McMann out vs. Sarah Kaufman at UFC Fight Night 27, replacement sought"=. MMAjunkie.com. 2013-08-05. http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/08/sara-mcmann-out-vs-sarah-kaufman-at-ufc-fight-night-27-replacement-sought. Retrieved 2013-08-05.
- "Sarah Kaufman off UFC Fight Night 27 card, will be rescheduled"=. MMAjunkie.com. 2013-08-19. http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/08/sarah-kaufman-off-ufc-fight-night-27-card-will-be-rescheduled. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- "Ronda Rousey vs. Sara McMann Booked for UFC 170 in February"=. BleacherReport.com. 2013-12-29. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1904344-ronda-rousey-vs-sara-mcmann-booked-for-ufc-170-in-february. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "Sara McMann meets Invicta FC champion Lauren Murphy at UFC Fight Night 47"=. mmafighting.com. 2014-07-03. http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/3/5867869/sara-mcmann-meets-invicta-fc-champion-lauren-murphy-at-ufc-fight. Retrieved 2014-07-03.
- Thomas Myers (13 November 2014). "Miesha Tate vs Sara McMann women's match announced for UFC 183 in Las Vegas"=. mmajunkie.com. http://www.mmamania.com/2014/11/13/7213045/miesha-tate-vs-sara-mcmann-womens-match-ufc-183-las-vegas-mma.